Transportation Roadway Engineer
Transportation Roadway EngineerVanasse Hangen Brustlin
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
VHB’s Virginia Beach, VA office is seeking a Transportation Roadway Engineer to join our Highway Design team.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
Transportation Roadway Engineer - Highway Design| Virginia Beach, VA
Duties include highway design, development of traffic management plans, cost estimating, right-of-way and construction plans. Our multi-disciplined team uses its skills and experience to improve our communities with a sustainable, context driven and integrated project delivery mindset. Our clients include municipalities, VDOT and other state agencies, and private partners who support the development of the places we live, work, recreate and learn.
Perform engineering related duties as a lead project engineer including analysis and design on complex transportation projects, grading, and plan preparation
- Lead production of Client deliverables, including construction documents, with a focus on project budget and schedule
- Perform best practices, in compliance with VHB standards, for quality control of work products
- Meet with clients to prepare and validate scope of work
- Assist marketing with technical development of proposal or presentation materials
- Engage and coordinate multi-discipline design team(s), including coordination with subconsultants,
- Collaborate with technical specialists to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting design criteria
- Deliver related services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda/amendments and tabulating/reviewing of bids
- Perform construction phase services, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Assist with mentoring of the professional development of junior Transportation staff
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects and willingness to serve in a variety of roles within a design team
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- AutoCAD with Civil 3D Corridor experience and/or MicroStation with Geopak or Open Roads experience required.
- BS in Civil Engineering required, MS a plus
- 5+ years of professional transportation engineering experience
- PE certification in VA strongly preferred or be able to obtain within a year
Please submit applications online.
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.