Department Manager - Transportation/Highway
Department Manager - Transportation/HighwayHNTB Corporation
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
What We're Looking For
Our growing practice in Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia focuses on a range of civil engineering services including highways, bridges, ITS, tolling, rail, transit, aviation, construction inspection and management, environmental planning, project controls, and program management services.
HNTB Corporation is currently seeking a success oriented and positive leader as Transportation/Highway Design Department Manager in our Arlington Office to proactively lead and expand our large and growing transportation practice throughout Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC.
This position is an excellent opportunity to join our multi-disciplined team located in the Arlington office. The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for:
- Managing our growing and successful Transportation Design Department setting the vision and plan for future opportunities.
- Sets the vision for, plans, and executes profitable growth for transportation department including senior project managers in Arlington, Baltimore, Glen Allen, Virginia Beach and Washington DC.
- Lead and mentor Senior Project Managers as they grow our Baltimore, Virginia Beach, and Washington DC offices.
- Sets a positive work environment that fosters collaborative teamwork. professional development, technical excellence, and business excellence.
- Supervise Project Managers/primary client contacts for multiple projects. Serve as project manager and primary client contact for the largest most complex projects.
- Delivery of projects by HNTB personnel and sub-consultants providing the highest quality contract/project deliverables, early or on time, within budget, and to the clients satisfaction.
- Working closely and collaboratively with other Department Managers and Practice Builders on project pursuits and leads or supports the team to win new business.
- Working closely with other disciplines on multi-discipline projects in lead or support roles.
- Coordinate with clients to define work programs and budgets, provide leadership in project planning and strategy including general oversight and planning, project management, project implementation, and ensuring quality of work products.
- Coordinates work efforts and reviews of work performed by project teams. Supervise and mentor teams to achieve or exceed project objectives.
- Coordinates design development and/or assist in providing technical direction to the scope of projects; provides senior-level technical expertise on roadway projects associated with conceptual engineering, detailed engineering designs, and preparation of contracts for construction.
- Investigative hand and computer-based analyses in support of design projects.
- Reviews and checks engineering work completed by others ensuring consistently the highest quality designs.
- Supervises, reviews, and develops project scope and fee quotation. Assists in the preparation of proposals and contracts.
- Provides staff hour estimating using client tools. Negotiate hours with clients, provide and oversee detailed work planning for the delivery of projects
- Quality Control and Assurance
- Assigning priorities and staff to jobs
- Coordinating time and budget on jobs
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of 16 years of progressive transportation engineering experience
- Maryland, Virginia, or Washington DC Professional Engineers License
- Previous success with project management (DDOT, MDOT or VDOT) and personnel management required.
- Strong positive leadership and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and listening skills, with an ability to present clearly and facilitate effective meetings
- Solid mature judgment and trusted behavior
- Can run the department as a business growing sales, revenue, and growth.
- Sees the big picture and can set the vision and direction to achieve business goals.
- Intense client focus with trusted client relationships and strong professional reputation across the industry in the region.
- Mature and effective judgment.
- Focus on continuous self and team improvement. Can develop to the next level of leadership.
What You'll Need
- Develops, monitors and manages the department's operating budget in support of the group or office operating budget and forecast updates.
- Responsible for the management, growth and professional development of discipline-specific engineering department. Coordinates department activities establishes priorities and assign staff to projects. Ensures staff development, mentoring and training needs are being met. Collaborates with other departments or groups within the office on work-sharing needs and opportunities.
- Supports the implementation of the firm's strategic plan and HNTB's Sophisticated Sales Approach (SSA) process on project pursuits in the department and office, including development of department-level strategic planning strategies.
- Supports the implementation of the firm's contracting (SCA) process through project delivery and contracting activities including scope, work plan and fee reviews for all contracting activities impacting the department.
- Supports the implementation of the firm's project delivery (SDA) process including Work Planning, Monthly Project Reviews and other project performance methods to ensure quality work, on time, on schedule, to the client's satisfaction.
- Assists in marketing responsibilities, including client discovery, proposal generation, interviews, and win-to-work activities
- Maintains client contacts to ensure client satisfaction. Leads and assists in sales and marketing efforts for department's growth.
- Recruits, hires, develops and retains department staff, including development of plan for staff reporting, performance and compensation reviews, and succession.
- Manages assigned project management activities (project scope, schedule, budget and quality management) and performs technical discipline tasks including research, reports, design, specifications and plan preparation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering with 10 years of practical experience including 2 years of supervisory experience.
Click here for benefits information: HNTB Total Rewards
Click here to learn more about EOE including disability and vet
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
R-06444 Full Time #JS #Highways