Payroll SupervisorCity of Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach, VA
- Oversee and supervise the overall semi-monthly central payroll process covering approximately 7,000 full-time and part-time employees.
- Administer the full range of central payroll functions including highly specialized processes such as third-party payments; oversee handling of personally/politically sensitive pay issues and inquiries and maintenance of a high level of security relating to payroll information.
- Administer the full range of deductions, withholdings, allotments, etc., applicable to payroll; and perform related central payroll duties.
- Review and audit regular and special recurring and non-recurring time, leave, and pay elements; review and audit benefit charges and adjustments for programs managed by the City; and review and audit time, leave and self-service pay actions processed by department Payroll and Leave Specialists (PALS) for compliance with applicable policies, processes, and practices.
- Conduct detailed analyses of financial and business processes related to the payroll system and its application to resolve problems, enhance efficiency, and develop various reports on payroll system operations/administration and related needs.
- Determine the need for new elements, funds and accounts in response to department requests and City needs; identify need for revisions in the account structure; collaborate with Management Services and City Controller to cost out new elements, funds and accounts; research tax codes to determine precedence of deductions; implement and document account structure changes; and advise City staff of such changes, as appropriate.
- Serve as liaison between Payroll and ComIT on operation system requirements and revisions; ensure payroll staff members understand payroll system requirements and revisions; and work closely with payroll staff in identifying the need for system revisions, formulating system requests and recommendations, and analyzing post-implementation results of system changes.
- Work closely with and provide back-up to, the Financial Analyst over Payroll Programs and Compliance and with representatives of Consolidated Benefits, HR Staffing and Compensation Services, HR Employee Relations, and City Attorney on issues related to payroll.
- Supervise the Operations staff including a Business Applications Specialist, several Payroll Technicians, and assigned support positions. Schedule/assign work to subordinates and measure performance.
- Provide appropriate training to Payroll staff; prepare and conduct departmental training programs on payroll policies and procedures; and provide training on use of the City-wide automated payroll system.
- Provide service and support to other departments on issues regarding payroll; and provide professional payroll advice and services to City departments, boards, commissions, and members.
- Document policies and procedures, maintain procedures manual, and implement process improvements.
- Research and interpret governmental regulations as applied to payroll procedures; conduct difficult and complex research and analysis of payroll information for audit, reporting, policy, and compliance purposes; and ensure conformity to internal controls.
- Prepare various payroll-related information/reports as required.
- Perform other job duties requiring skills, knowledge and physical requirements as demanded by those duties described or less. Individual assignments will be determined by the supervisor based on then current workloads and department needs.
Official City Job Description:
MINIMUMS: Bachelor?s degree in accounting, business or related and six (6) years in fields utilizing the knowledge, skills and abilities associated with such positions as Payroll Supervisor, Payroll Manager, Payroll Analyst, or Payroll Operations Manager. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies.
DMV Transcript: Not Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Physical: Not Required
Respirator: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Experience as a local/state governmental payroll supervisor, experience working with and managing time and attendance software, experience using organizational and interpersonal skill working in a team environment and has a payroll professional designation. Example Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP).
- Please complete the application in its entirety. The application is the primary required document used to screen qualifications and years of experience. A resume does not replace a completed application. Fields on the application left blank, including but not limited to job duties, dates of employment, and hours worked, may cause your application to be incomplete.
- You will not be able to access the details of this job ad once the closing date has passed. If you would like to retain this information, please take a screen shot or print using your browser's printing capability.
- Your responses to any "Supplemental Questions", if attached to this requisition, must be supported by the information you give us in the work experience section of this application. Be sure you are thorough in describing your skills and duties as you complete the work experience section. If the information cannot be verified you will not receive credit.
- Please provide a copy of any certifications or related professional licenses.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.