Accounting /Payroll Specialist
Accounting /Payroll SpecialistChoice Insurance Agency
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
Choice Insurance Agency is one of the fastest-growing companies in our industry as identified by Inc 5000. We believe that by “protecting people’s present, we secure their dreams.” We are seeking to hire a talented Account Representative to join our team. If you are a hard-working professional, who can prioritize several projects while remaining focused on accuracy and is looking to grow with our organization, this may be the opportunity you have been looking for.
The Accounting Specialist will be performing a variety of financial activities including processing, recording, updating, and reconciling fiscal information; providing support to department activities such as account payable and payroll, with specific responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of preliminary and final payroll reports, timesheets, spreadsheets, and funds distribution.
The ideal candidate must display knowledge and understanding of accounting and auditing principles, practices, and procedures; principles and techniques involved in payroll control and payroll-related accounting practices; financial and statistical record-keeping techniques; ability to prepare comprehensive accounting reports and utilize computer applications particularly electronic spreadsheets and databases. Ultimately, you will help our Accounting department run smoothly, ensuring transparency and efficiency in all transactions.
Salary Range: $18.00 - $21.00 per hour
Benefits Included (after 60 days):
- Employee Health Benefits (medical, dental, & vision)401K Retirement Plan
- Employer-paid Group Life Insurance
- Employer-paid Long Term Disability
- Employee paid Shot Term Disability
- Additional Voluntary Benefits available
- Full reimbursement of costs for licenses or required training to employees on a 1-year pro-rated basis
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Paid Bereavement
- Access to The Choice Insurance Agency business and self-improvement library
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Compiles statistical and payroll data from a variety of sources (e.g. time sheets/payroll, salary adjustments, benefits, leave balances, tax deposits, etc. to process semi-monthly payroll
- Researches and resolves discrepancies payroll and/or benefit information and/or documentation (e.g. payroll, , late hires, leave time, benefits) for the purpose of ensuring the accuracy of records and employee payments prior to processing.
- Responds to inquiries regarding payroll procedures (e.g. wage, direct deposits, etc.)
- Reviews payroll and a variety of insurance-related information (e.g. payroll reports, FMLA, payroll, and insurance records.
- Supervises a wide variety of payroll information and data entry (e.g. direct deposits, garnishments, investments, voluntary of documentation, and compliance with established policies and regulatory guidelines
- Review and reconcile invoice discrepancies; research problem invoices/payables and resolve with branch contacts in accordance with department and/or company guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains accounting ledgers by verifying all invoices, reconciling monthly statements, and posting transactions to the correct expense accounts.
- Assist the accounting department by providing routine accounting and administrative support, by effectively using computers and various software applications to complete daily tasks, including QuickBooks, database management and data entry
- Problem resolution with vendor inquiries.
- Process payments via banking software and prepares accounts payable checks twice monthly for signature.
- Import and allocate all credit card transactions into the accounting system and verify all charges to budgets.
- Perform monthly reconciliations.
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by achieving related results as needed.
- Two- Four years of experience in bookkeeping/accounting
- Accredited Accounting Certification or College degree in accounting preferred
- QuickBooks, Peachtree, or similar software experience
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment
- Computer literacy, including high functioning ability with Microsoft Office and Excel
- High level of organization, time management and ability to prioritize
- An honest and discreet attitude when dealing with company accounts
- Professional Demeanor